Thursday, October 21, 2010

Yield to Life

I am not sure how other cyclist in Utah feel. It seems as if there has been an overwhelming amount of tragic accidents involving negligent motorist.

Now more than ever fear has overwhelmed me. I count all my close calls, and it scares me. Going to the gym seems safer, and I find myself skipping out on the bike periodically.

I have taken a few actions to try and protect myself. This year I have stopped using an iPod all together-Riding alone has never felt more lonely. I make sure I never leave the house without my cell phone. Best of all, I have purchased a Road I.D. This I.D. contains all of my contact and medical information, that I wear conveniently around my wrist for all to see.

Education is also a key to prevention. I strongly urge motorists and cyclist to check out and support Yield to Life. This is an organization founded by World Class cyclist David Zabriskie. All donations go to the education and prevention of future senseless tragedies. On this site, it gives great safety tips and road rules for both cyclists and motorists.

My challenge is to stop letting fear take over me. I do not want to be kept from doing what I love most. Please remember that any cyclist on the road, is not just a bike. It's a life.

1 comment:

Jillyan said...

My friends and I were talking about this exact thing during our run this morning! It is scary how many people are being hit on the road. I am guilty of running in the dark without reflective gear. Now that it's darker in the mornings, I need to find me some safety gear. Great topic!